Welcome to the website of the Steering Committee for the Nomination of the Sansa, Buddhist Mountain Monasteries in KOREA as UNESCO World Heritage.
- The World Heritage Committee decided to inscribe Sansa, Buddhist Mountain Monasteries in Korea, on the World Heritage List at its 42nd meeting in Manama, Bahrain on June 30, 2018.
- The Council for Inscription of Buddhist Mountain Monasteries in Korea on the World Heritage List has made the outstanding achievement of enlisting Sansa as the nation’s 13th World Heritage of UNESCO with its collaboration with the nominated temples, the Cultural Heritage Administration, local governments and experts as well as joint diplomacy efforts with the Foreign Ministry toward the member states of the World Heritage Convention.
- As a heritage carrying on the tradition of Korean Buddhism for more than 1,000 years, Sansa succeeded in making its outstanding universal value recognized by the world. Sansa are a multifunctional monastery accommodating religious practices, faith and daily life of monks and lay believers.
- It is truly meaningful that the world has recognized the value of tangible as well as intangible cultural properties of Sansa as a time-honored space for the sangha community which has carried on the tradition of Korean Buddhism.
- I hope that the inscription of Sansa on the World Heritage List would pave the way for the world to recognize its unique value and expect it to enhance the values of other mountain monasteries than the seven inscribed ones in Korea.
- The CIBM will make utmost efforts to conserve and manage the Buddhist mountain monasteries so as to safeguard its value as a World Heritage. I look forward to your continued interest in and attention to Sansa and pray for Buddha’s blessings for all of you. Thank you.
- Ven. Wonhaeng Chairman of the Council for Inscription of Buddhist Mountain Monasteries in Korea on the World Heritage List